Thursday 28 June 2012

Lady Saw Staying Farr Away From Fellow Female Artists

Legendary Dancehall superstar, Lady Saw has put her female contemporaries on notice as the prominent deejay insists that she’s separating herself from other Dancehall divas following recent controversy.

Several weeks ago, Lady Saw gave an interview on TVJ’s Entertainment Report (ER) in which she allegedly stated that no current female Dancehall artiste could spend a day in her shoes. However, the artiste whose real name is Marion Hall vehemently denied that she said such a thing, insisting that producers of ER edited the interview in a way which made it seem like she was dissing her female compatriots, namely Spice and Tifa.
Following that interview, speculation arose regarding a possible beef between Lady Saw and Tifa which both denied. Spice later commented on the matter via TVJ’s Intense, saying that she was surprised by the alleged feud.

Now reflecting on recent events and surprised by the response by other female artistes regarding the interview, Lady Saw insists that she refuses to build personal relationships with fellow divas within the Dancehall industry.

“I didn’t ask people to name me Queen or the Mumma but I doan fraid a nuh gal. As of now, I don’t want any female chat to mi. I just hate this drama, I just want them to come offa mi name. To be on the safe side I don’t want any friendship. I will cheer for you and buss mi blank dem but just stay away from mi. I’m going to love you guys from a distance. I said nobody can fill my shoes. I’m not saying that nobody cannot strive for their own and achieve the most that they can,” she told the Jamaica STAR.

Some of Lady Saw’s fans have called on her to challenge her female compatriots who have responded in the media. However, she wants no part of the drama.
“Yuh doan have anything to tell a next female other than under her clothes. That is so degrading and I would never do that no matter how much money it is up for. If a that dem (female artistes) a look for, it will never happen. All my career, have you ever seen me in the mix-up?” she said.
“They are killing themselves and in the process trying to bring me down with them. They want me to take them on and then them can seh Mumma Saw a mash down the little artiste and show me up in a bad light. That is what they are working on but that will never happen. The thing with Tanya Stephens, I walked away from that and since me start recording again as Lady Saw, everybody have a problem. If yuh want the business tek it, tek the whole of it.”

In the meantime, Lady Saw has joined forces with British singing sensation, Estelle on a new single. According to Lady Saw, she was in Tortola for a stage show when she was approached by Estelle to work on a collaboration, which she agreed to.

According to the Dancehall diva, her joint effort with Estelle felt quite comforting.
“It’s a song that’s right up my ally. They can’t tell me nothing about my man. I’m Lady Saw innit, and I’m also Marion. When we sent it to her she said that she loved it,” she said.
Lady Saw has previously collaborated with prominent international acts such as Vitamin C (Smile) and No Doubt (Underneath It All) with the latter winning the Dancehall superstar a Grammy Award in 2004.

Estelle also hails as no stranger to collaborating with Jamaican acts as she and Sean Paul joined forces on the 2008 hit single, Come Over while she performed at Caribbean Fashion Week (CFW) which took place in Kingston earlier this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment